Monday, October 11, 2010

Lazy Post

I haven't updated in a while. I don't have anything to say. Here is a speech I wrote for someone running for Mayor of Chicago.


Good afternoon everyone. 

Many people in Chicago have asked me what I think the most pressing issue for our city is.  I don’t think it will surprise anyone when I say that jobs are my number one priority. 

Chicago’s unemployment rate is 10%.  That means that 10% of people who want jobs can’t find work.  This is unacceptable.  Now, I’m under no delusion that the unemployment rate is due to one politician or another. But it is our duty as elected officials to find and implement solutions.

I’ve got a couple solutions.  The Society of Civil Engineers gave the U.S. a D for our infrastructure.  They say our roads and bridges are in poor condition.  If we invest in Chicago’s infrastructure, we can put people to work fixing what amounts to the foundation of our economy.  So in the short term, we put people back to work and in the long term, our economy is fundamentally stronger than when we got into this recession.  People say that all roads lead to Rome.  Well I want all well paved, uncongested roads to lead to Chicago.  I want every mile to be magnificent.  And so, I think our road to recovery is quite literally going to be a road.

But we can’t just create jobs for now and pretend we’re done.  The economy is changing.  And we must change with it.  We need to make sure that people are educated and trained for well-paying jobs located right here in Chicago.  Some people say we need to take pay cuts to remain competitive.  I disagree.  Bringing ourselves down won’t make this city any better off, but raising ourselves up will.  We shouldn’t settle for jobs beneath us, we should reach for jobs that uplift us.  I want to bring jobs to Chicago that people will be passionate about. Green technology, clean energy, communications, healthcare, small business, these are the industries that will define the future and we need to make sure the people of Chicago are ready.

Chicago has always been the capital of the Mid-West, but never more so than in the days of the American frontier.  Land was abundant, and so was opportunity.  Anyone brave enough could stake a claim and earn his fortune with some hard work. 

A lot of people say there is no more American frontier, that America is done growing.

They’re wrong. 

Frontiers are all around us. There are still discoveries to be made, risks to be taken. It’s true that we’re no longer moving westward, but we are always moving forward.  I want Chicago to be the new frontier.  I want people to come to Chicago to make good on their dreams.  Chicago will always be the old capital of the Mid-West, but I want Chicago to become the ideas capital of the U.S.  

1 comment:

  1. Love to see that you've started a blog, bru. I'd love an update on Chip the dog, stealing swipes from freshman in SAC, and being a particularly wonky wonk who makes people laugh when he doesn't wonk.

    ReplyDelete